Health Ministry continues to investigate the death of a student and child from food poisoning in Gombak

PEKAN – A Form Five student died on Monday after contracting food poisoning, and the incident is still under investigation by the Health Ministry.

The Division of Public Health will deal with the case, and the Headquarters will release a statement. “For now, the case is still being investigated,” said Deputy Minister Datuk Awang Sauni at a news conference following a visit to the district office (PKD), in Pekan, Pahang on Tuesday, June 11.

Also present was Pahang Health Director Datuk Dr Rusdi Abd Rahman.

The media reported on Tuesday that the police confirmed they had received two reports of deaths involving a boy aged 17 and a girl aged 2 who both died from suspected food poisoning at a religious institution in Gombak.

Noor Ariffin Mohamad Nasir, the ACP of the Gombak District Police Chief was quoted saying that the teenager ate food brought home by his mother on Saturday (8th June) after attending a religion programme at the school.

After eating the food, he said, both the victim and the victim’s parents developed diarrhoea. At 1.30pm, on Monday, June 10, the victim began to lose consciousness. After eating the food that her father brought to the school, while he was on duty on Saturday as a security officer, the second victim developed a fever and had diarrhoea and vomiting around 10.45am Monday.

The two bodies were sent to Selayang Hospital Forensic Unit, for further investigation. He also said that the case had been classified as sudden deaths.

Noor Ariffin said that the food was identified in both cases as bee hoon fried and eggs.

Related Articles