IGP: Don’t make assumptions about ehailing driver attack claim

KUALA LUMPUR – The public is urged to allow due process to take its course, and not speculate on the claim of a disabled ehailing chauffeur that he had been assaulted by a security guard accompanying a VIP.

When contacted by the media on Wednesday (5 June), Inspector-General Tan Sri Razarudin Husain stated that “this includes” linking it to a royal institution.

He added that “any misinformation could jeopardize the investigation.”

Razarudin said that 12 other people also had their statements recorded.

The security escort was called, as were hotel workers, Special Action Unit personnel (UTK), doctors, and Grab’s Operations Director.

The investigation report has been sent to the DPP.

Razarudin stated that the victim initially withdrew his police report but, after a second recording of his statement, the victim wants to continue the case.

IGP said previously that police would conduct a thorough investigation, and call all parties involved.

Kuala Lumpur Police Chief Comm Datuk Rusdi Mohd Isa said that they had received a complaint from the driver on May 28, at 1pm.

Comm Rusdi stated that the victim filed a second report with the police at 9.59pm on the same day. He claimed the matter was resolved amicably, and he didn’t want to prolong the investigation.

The victim claims that he received RM800 as a settlement.

Related Articles