Six electrocuted in Central Uganda

KAMPALA, 6 June (Xinhua) – A regional police spokesperson stated that at least six people were killed Thursday morning when they were accidentally electrocuted in Uganda’s central Mubende district by power lines.

In a statement, Racheal Kawala said that the six men who died were electrocuted at Butawata Market in Kigando Sub-County, Mubende, at 9 am local time.

She said that preliminary findings showed that the groom had hired the deceased for the purpose of erecting tents at his wedding, which was to be held on Thursday noon.

Kawala said that the metallic edge of the tent’s frame came into contact with the electricity lines/wires while it was being erected, resulting in electrocution and the death of six people.

She stated that the police, as well as Uganda Electricity Distribution Company Limited (the country’s regulator of public electricity), have begun an investigation into this tragic incident.

It was also established that there were illegal connections in the area. Kawala warned that illegal power connections are dangerous and could be fatal.

She confirmed that the bodies had been transferred to the morgue of Mubende Regional Referral Hospital.

Related Articles