Three Customs officers plead guilty to corruption charges

SEREMBAN: At the Sessions Court in Semarang, three Customs Department officials have been charged with accepting bribes as an incentive from the owner of a transport firm to allow the company’s loaded trucks to bypass the cargo complex at KL International Airport without inspection.

Earizal Mohd. Khalil (43), Ngu Su Siew (35), and Mohd. Izuwan Mohd. Ali (32) all pleaded no contest to the charges after they were separately read before Judge Meor Sulaiman Ahmed Tarmizi.

Earizal faces three charges for accepting RM 2,950 total from an individual between May 28, 2017 and March 3, 2018

Ngu was charged with accepting RM3,000 in December 2022. Mohd. Izuwan faces two counts for accepting RM1,200 total on August 23, 2019 and March 3, 2020.

According to reports, the money was transferred via online banking into each bank account.

The three men were charged in Section 17(a), read with Section 24(1), of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission Act 2009.

On conviction, offenders may be sentenced to up to 20-years in prison and five times the bribe or a fine of RM10,000.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Muhammad Asraf Mohamed Tahir requested the court to impose a bail amount of RM10,000 on each accused, and to order that they surrender their passports until the next hearing of the case.

Muhammad Asraf and Maziah Mouhaide also asked that all suspects report to their nearest MACC office to await the conclusion of their cases.

Helmi Hassan was Earizal’s lawyer. He asked for a lower bail citing the client’s responsibility to support his mother and three children.

He said that his client has been cooperating with the MACC ever since he was arrested.

Adhwa’ Afiqah Mohd Azmi also asked for a lower amount of bail on behalf of the two other accused.

She said that Ngu who has a married child and Mohd, a father with three children, are the only breadwinners in their respective families.

Adhwa said both had worked with the MACC, and that they were not flight risk.

Judge Meor Sulaiman set bail for each accused at RM6,000. He ordered that those who had passports surrender them to court, and report to their nearest MACC office every first Saturday until the case is resolved.

The next date to be mentioned was set for July 12.

Related Articles