Zayn-Rayyan case: MCMC identifies sites that spread leaked information

Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission says that several social media sites are spreading alleged investigation leaks related to the Zayn-Rayyan Abdul Matiin Murder Case.

In a Saturday (15 June) statement, MCMC stated that it had sent requests to operators of social media platforms, including TikTok, Telegram and others, to remove relevant content.

“Sharing and spreading the alleged investigative information about the case could interfere with the court trial.

The MCMC reminded the public to not share unreliable or false information.

The commission also urged social media users to remove any posts or comments which could lead to speculation about the case.

Sharing unverified or fabricated information may be a crime under section 233 of Communications and Multimedia Act, 1998.

The law added that offenders can face fines up to RM50,000 or imprisonment for up to a year. They may also be subject to an additional fine up to RM1,000 per day for offences committed after conviction.

According to reports, Edisi siasat shared the investigation documents of the case via its Telegram account on Thursday (June 13). These have since been circulated on social media.

Fahmi Fadzil, Communications Minister, said that action could be taken to punish those who leaked the documents because it was a court case.

Zayn Rayyan’s parents appeared before Dr Syahliza warnoh on June 13 and pleaded no contest to the charge of child neglect.

The charges were filed under Section 31(1) (a) of Child Act 2001. This is punishable by Section 31(1) and Section 34, both of which allow a maximum fine up to RM50,000, or a maximum of 20 years imprisonment, if found guilt.

The alleged offence occurred between 12 noon and 9:55pm on December 6th, last year, around Jalan PJU in Damansara Damai.

Related Articles